Pasty Butt..Vinegar and Medicated Feed

Keeperoflock

Songster
Mar 10, 2018
Central Indiana
I have 1 week old chicks. A few of them are just beginning to show some pasty butt. I've heard that vinegar is a type of probiotic and can be put in their water at this age. My question is with the feed being medicated is it alright to use the vinegar as well? I know the medication is to help in things of preventing the dreaded coccidiosis. I've had some issues with my heat lamps for some reason so they got a bit warm and I'm sure that's what caused it. I've never had to deal with this before so any help from you all is much appreciated.

My chicks are 3 weeks old. At a week old, they started to get pasty butt. After a good cleanup, I started putting AVC with the mother in their water, and they haven't had it since. I also moved up my heat lamp as I read over heating can cause pasty butt. I also use medicated chick starter feed.

Well it should be fine the medicated feed is for what you said, coccidiosis. Vinegar is just a supplement I don't know why it would be bad for the chicks to mix the two. I feed medicated as well and I have, in the past, supplemented the chicks with things like electrolytes and such and they have been fine:)

Thank you. I love my chickies and trying my best to care for them. You've been helpful!

Well it should be fine the medicated feed is for what you said, coccidiosis. Vinegar is just a supplement I don't know why it would be bad for the chicks to mix the two. I feed medicated as well and I have, in the past, supplemented the chicks with things like electrolytes and such and they have been fine:)

My chicks are 3 weeks old. At a week old, they started to get pasty butt. After a good cleanup, I started putting AVC with the mother in their water, and they haven't had it since. I also moved up my heat lamp as I read over heating can cause pasty butt. I also use medicated chick starter feed.

Thank you so much. This is what I'm going to do.

Back
Top Bottom