pasty-butt, water temperature?

Meesh

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Rocky Mountains
Hi,

Some of my chicks are occasionally pasting. After thinking about what might chill them (they are in a very consistent environment) - I wondered about water. When I fill their waterer, I have been putting in cool water. They seem to relish a cool drink of water - but could that be chilling them & causing pasting?

Should chicks be getting warmer water?

Thanks,
Michelle

* Wow, what a great question!! I don't know but it'd be a great experiment. I HAVE wondered if the stuff that's in the water (chlorine, flouride, sodium, etc.) could bother chicks. (Ed/bad spelling!)

Last edited:
Our water is natural spring water, but there's a softener in the house. It uses potassium, not sodium. So I know in my case it's not flouride, sodium, or chlorine.

I also have fed them some tidbits of yogurt, rice, yam, and spagetti. It doesn't seem to correlate with the treats, tho.

Cheers,
Michelle

* Meesh, I've never had chicks (yet) personally-- But, I do know that most of the well-experienced folks here insist on no treats for the young-uns under a certain age. Not sure if that's contributing to your pasty-butt problems, could be though. . . .

My water always gets hot because of the heat lamp........ is that ok? I end up changing it every day anyhow because they kick so much stuff into it, but will it hurt them to drink it throughout the day if it's warm?

* Hey, G., Welcome aboard, BTW-- You know it pro'bly depends on how hot it's getting. A chickens body temp. is higher than a cat's 1O3 even, so I doubt it'd bother them if it's at least several degrees lower, might even be better. HOWEVER- one thing it would also do is make bacteria from the feed they tend to toss in there grow faster. That could be worrisome to me. Could you moue the water to a cooler spot in the brooder??

Last edited:
"My water always gets hot because of the heat lamp........ is that ok? I end up changing it every day anyhow because they kick so much stuff into it, but will it hurt them to drink it throughout the day if it's warm?"

See, that's what got me thinking about it. Most of the time, mine are drinking pretty warm water.

One of the chick nursing sites I read said that a really sick chick should be given warmed water - at about 103 deg. to avoid chilling.

It just got me wondering. Mine crowd around the water and will drink quite a bit of cooled water. I know that drinking ice water chills me... I try to drink alot of it, and it makes me feel cold.

No treats for the chicks! They are going to be so sad. I am only seeing the occasional pasty-butt, and it doesn't seem to correlate with the treat-piggy chicks.

Cheers,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom