Pasty butt, what to do?

rsarns

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
One of my 2 day olds has a psty butt and is acting weird. What is the best way to fix it?

So many people say to just pluck it off or wipe it with a towel. That doesn't work for me!! I use a wet q tip and role it around there vent. If it's so bad, I use manicure scissors to cut the big chunks of dried poop.

Warm wet towel isn't working too well, I'll try the q-tip also. Thanks!

Q tips work soooooooo much better than a towel IMO. I use the q tip until I can see there vent unplugged then used a paper towel to clean up a bit.

I have a chick that used to get it ever 3rd day or so...I tried paper towels, didn't work, tried q-tip didn't work....what work best for me was my finger (
sickbyc.gif
) with a little bit of soap and a lot of warm water (to the point where I run a little water directly to the area....that is what worked best...now I put vaseline on her rump every other day or so to prevent it and she is good to go!!!!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Some old timers recommend adding a little molasses to the water, to make it look like weak tea. They explain that pasty butt is actually constipation, with some liquid waste running out around a plug, and this helps relieve this.

I just took care of 3 of my week-old chicks with pasty butts last night- mostly looked like the poo was rolling down the feathers instead of dropping off clean... the vents weren't really covered over, but what I did was to gently hold each one in a tub of warm water for about a minute or so, and it made it much easier to pick/peel off the offending poo. Everyone is looking fine this morning, and we did also dab a bit of vaselline on with a q tip when they were all clean. Working well so far! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom