1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty butt, what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rsarns, Jul 11, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    One of my 2 day olds has a psty butt and is acting weird. What is the best way to fix it?

2. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    So many people say to just pluck it off or wipe it with a towel. That doesn't work for me!! I use a wet q tip and role it around there vent. If it's so bad, I use manicure scissors to cut the big chunks of dried poop.

3. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Warm wet towel isn't working too well, I'll try the q-tip also. Thanks!

4. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Q tips work soooooooo much better than a towel IMO. I use the q tip until I can see there vent unplugged then used a paper towel to clean up a bit.

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I have a chick that used to get it ever 3rd day or so...I tried paper towels, didn't work, tried q-tip didn't work....what work best for me was my finger ( [​IMG] ) with a little bit of soap and a lot of warm water (to the point where I run a little water directly to the area....that is what worked best...now I put vaseline on her rump every other day or so to prevent it and she is good to go!!!!

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  6. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Forgot to mention my fingers too! I never tried Vaseline! Good idea.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some old timers recommend adding a little molasses to the water, to make it look like weak tea. They explain that pasty butt is actually constipation, with some liquid waste running out around a plug, and this helps relieve this.

8. Sazbaby

Sazbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    I just took care of 3 of my week-old chicks with pasty butts last night- mostly looked like the poo was rolling down the feathers instead of dropping off clean... the vents weren't really covered over, but what I did was to gently hold each one in a tub of warm water for about a minute or so, and it made it much easier to pick/peel off the offending poo. Everyone is looking fine this morning, and we did also dab a bit of vaselline on with a q tip when they were all clean. Working well so far! Good luck!

9. chickmchickie

chickmchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Ely Mn
    where do you put the Vaseline around the vent? or over the vent?

10. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:around the vent and down it's backside where to poo would roll down....seems to work for my girl...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by