Pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chixcoop, Oct 31, 2015.

1. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    I noticed that one of my 5 day old chicks has a lump of really crusted hard poop on his/her butt. I am not sure if it is pasty butt however, because I was running my finger around the hard crusted poo, and I saw a little hole that I'm assumingl is his butt hole. Is it posible to have cursted poop on a chick, and it not be pasty butt? Have you seen this on a chick before?

HOW DO YOU GET IT OFF? IT IS REALLY REALLY CRUSTED ON!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You need to get it off so it doesn't occlude the vent.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That may be useful for.me too, will read that. Just had a chick die from this :(

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Yes that's pasty butt, soak it and work it off with your fingers or it will die. I find that too much heat causes it a lot of times that's why I start my brooder temperature at 85 degrees.

6. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    Thanks everyone! I was able to get off. All I did for anyone who is wondering, is just held a warm dripping wet paper towel to his butt for 5 min to soften it, then took it off piece by piece with tweezers/napkin/fingers. It was hard because the poop was mixed with the fur (now I know why he yelled when I pulled the crusted poop[​IMG]), but I eventually got it off. A misconception that I thought is that even if you can see his rectum with poop on his butt that they are fine, but you need to get that poop off because new pooop will stick to the old poop, causing pasty butt.

Sure enough within 5 min of his pasty free butt, he let a nice long poop go in my hand, the longest I ever have seen a chick do!

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear he is doing ok! Thanks for letting us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by