1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by captivatedlife, May 4, 2016.

1. captivatedlife

captivatedlife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    We call it poopy butt and it showed up yesterday in one of our 3 week old chicks. We are doing everything we can (I'm coming home from work on my lunch, and then checking her out when we are home) and removing the poop, gently with warm water but her vent remains herniated. She is trembling often and I do not know if she will survive. Each defecation after the identification of pasty butt has remained stuck and has had to be removed by hand, with vaseline added to hopefully smooth out the future defecation, but the vent has remained constantly herniated. I'm sad.

The others are not picking on her, so there's that at least.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Add some greens to their diet, dandelion weeds work well, as well as some clumps of sod with some dirt attached for grit. I have also read adding some raw corn meal or chopped up rolled oats can help. Make sure they aren't too warm which can dehydrate them. Keep checking and cleaning, hopefully it will improve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by