Pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazychick1014, Jun 28, 2016.

1. crazychick1014

crazychick1014 New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    I'm having issues i have a week old partridge cochin and she keeps getting pasty butt. I think the main issue is directly under her vent she has really stiff feathers...(unsure why). Its almost like the feathers are in the wrong spot. Has any one ever had this issue and if so what do i do. She's a fiesty one i didnt think she was going to make it when i first hot her in the mail because she is so much smaller than the others, i guess she is the runt!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Use a good Probotic and you wont have pasty butt anymore. The Probotic is benifical bacteria that actually fights bad bacteria.i use it on newly hatched and my hens. You will actually SEE the difference in the poop. Ive used Probios for poultry, for years and ABSOULTY love it. A jar lasts a long time! Its added to the drinking water. Tractor supply carries the small jar but its more economical to get the large jar online.just search buy probios for poultry. I will attach a picture. This has SEVERAL different benifical bacteria inside. Not just one or two. Its made a great difference in my flock. I came across this some years ago when i had issues with pasty butt in my flock. Young and old alike benefit from this probotic. Hope this helps.also, another trick is if you can do this without hurting the chick, you can trim the feathers that the poo is sticking too. This helps but you will want to use the probotic to cure the loose stool.i trim my silkies bottom feathers often because of stool sticking. Even if its perfect stool it sticks due to her fluffy butt feathers. Trimming helps. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. crazychick1014

crazychick1014 New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Thanks. Its weird though the feathers under her vent are stiff and hard like the ones on top of her vent like they are misplaced. Is it ok the trim them even though they aren't fluffy? This is our first experience with baby chicks and man the things we didn't know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by