Pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rissgifford, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Rissgifford

Rissgifford In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2018
    i have a chick with pasty butt. I already had the runt die from the same. I have gently cleaned the area with warm water and a rag every day. I also added oatmeal. Anything else I can do?

4 ever Orpington likes this.
  2. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I’ve had times where I had to GENTLY squeeze the butt to help get the rest out. When I would clean it off with paper towels I could still see some in the butt. It’s almost like they couldn’t get it all the way out and just let it stay there. And it will back up their system

3. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Is the butt area unclogged? If it is, your chick should be fine!
    "Cornmeal or ground raw oatmeal can help clear up pasty butt, as can adding probiotic powder to your chick's feed. Chick-sized grit should also be provided in the brooder. Dirty vents should be cleaned off carefully with a q-tip dipped in olive oil and rechecked/relubricated until they clean (usually takes a few days)." - Fresh Eggs Daily
    https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/01/common-baby-chick-ailments-and-natural.html

Rissgifford likes this.
  4. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :celebrate :welcome

Rissgifford and chickengirl778 like this.
  5. DuckingLost

DuckingLost Chirping

Mar 29, 2018
    I was told to add ACV(Apple cider vinegar) to the water. I did that and my chicks cleared up. I did clean them off first by having a hand around the body and my other hand holding their feet while I held their butt in a lid of warm water. Then I finished cleaning them up with a paper towel. Hope your lol guy pulls through...such a cute face!

6. Peeperscreepers

Peeperscreepers Songster

Apr 3, 2018
    Peidmont-ish NC, us
    I also used apple cider vinegar in the water and oatmeal ground with chick feed in a food processor and a treat of boiled egg yolk sometime during the day. All suggestions I read here. I gently cleaned their little butts when needed with warm water, tried to not get anything but their bum wet and kept them warm after. My chicks are just now getting over it and boy am I thankful. I'm new to chicks and it really worried me once I started reading about this dreaded pasty butt that a few of the chicks ended up with. I would of never knew about it if I wasent on here reading. I read where it was suggested to use ACV in the water and a bit of ground oatmeal in the food and some boiled egg yolk as a treat, it has helped clear it up a great deal for my 2 that had pasty butt bad. I hope it clears up for you.

7. Cee Gee

Cee Gee In the Brooder

Oct 11, 2017
    Are you saying to feed them cornmeal or ground oats? I have at least 5 out of 17 that came from a hatchery that have it and one is bad. I've cleaned him three times in four days (the size of a quarter) and I believe he bum is raw and appears to be scabbed over a bit. I use warm water, cotton pads, scissors but I'm pretty relentless trying to clean him entirely. I'll try the putting them under the running water next time with the q-tip method since dobbing him with the cotton pad just doesn't seem to get it softened very quickly and its pulling out his down. I put antibiotic ointment on his bum yesterday...I'm guessing that probably wasn't the best idea as everyone is mentioning olive oil and he was picking at it when I put him back in the brooder. I have to assume this happens from dehydration?? I'd like to find the prevention as opposed to a treatment for the future. I've been putting electrolytes in the water thinking this might help and I will be getting the ceramic heat emitter (who knew this existed-Love it!) to replace the red lamp. I love all animals but never thought I'd love these birds this much. I am the official "chicken tender" at my house. Any-All advice is welcomed.

8. chickengirl778

chickengirl778 Songster

Apr 17, 2017
    Either cornmeal or ground oats will work well. I think the electrolytes might help perk him up a little. If he's not drinking, you can drip water on his beak to get him to drink a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: