Pasty Butt?

RIR chicks

Songster
Sep 28, 2020
Is this pasty butt or am I just overreacting? If so tell me all the ways to treat it. Here is a pic (sorry about my bad photography skills) let me know if you need another one EFA0E38D-77D0-4C0F-BC98-A9C9AAC3AF28.jpeg :

I can't tell for sure from that picture, but regardless, I would clean up the droppings. You can do this by using a washcloth or napkin dipped in warm water. Then gently wipe the droppings away. Make sure you don't try to forcefully pull the excrement away while it's dry - this can tear the chick's skin and even damage the vent.
You can also gently rub Vaseline or olive oil (I prefer olive oil), around the vent to prevent chaffing, and, this way, the next time your chick poops, the poop will be less likely to stick to your chick's bum. Apply this with something like a Q-Tip or a cotton sort of thing.
Make sure the heat in your brooder is good, and that everything is nice and clean with little stress.
I hope this helped some. :)

I can't tell for sure from that picture, but regardless, I would clean up the droppings. You can do this by using a washcloth or napkin dipped in warm water. Then gently wipe the droppings away. Make sure you don't try to forcefully pull the excrement away while it's dry - this can tear the chick's skin and even damage the vent.
You can also gently rub Vaseline or olive oil (I prefer olive oil), around the vent to prevent chaffing, and, this way, the next time your chick poops, the poop will be less likely to stick to your chick's bum. Apply this with something like a Q-Tip or a cotton sort of thing.
Make sure the heat in your brooder is good, and that everything is nice and clean with little stress.
I hope this helped some. :)
I will do e olive oil thing

Back
Top Bottom