pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by louloubean, Apr 7, 2009.

1. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    just got chicks in the mail.
    they have what looks like a string hanging off their butts.
    is this pasty butt? how will i know what to look for?

[​IMG]

ok, i am stupid exited. baby barred rocks are here!

2. red46

red46 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    A string???? I could be that they developed diarhea due to the stress of shipping.
    Give them some sugar water, about a tablespoon to a quart, for a couple days, to help build them up.

Just watch for 'pasty butt' which is actually feces that hasn't dropped and is actually plugging the anus. This is deadly. Clean off anything you see, like that, that is leaving their little butts dirty.

It should clear up.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Yep-- actual "pasty butt" is usually due to the chicks eating that wood-shaving litter that they put in the brooders at feed stores.

4. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Watch it for at least a week, and use a very warm water bath to soak it off the butt if needed. I have to do that with my polish right now. Then make sure they are dried off and warm when you put them back in the brooder. I like to hold mine in a warm rag under the heat lamp a bit and make sure the down is fluffed back up. Some people use a hair dryer.

5. louloubean

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    they are really happy little critters in their brooder right now.
    i've seen poop in the litter too. (who knew there was joy at the sight of poop?)

i guess i need to know if pasty butt is obvious to see?
    other than behavior changes in later stages?

thanks for your advice! [​IMG]

6. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    Does it make a difference if there are no feathers on the butt and there is some dried on feces? I just recieved my chickens today and one has this problem. I cleaned off the feces but what about the feathers?

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

The thing to remember about pasty butt is it's not a one time thing, you need to clean them off a few times a day and keep checking them for several days. It usually just takes a day or two to clear up but keep doing a bottom check on everyone for a few days after just to be sure.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    When I got my first day-old chicks (back in May 2007), I used a warm, damp wash cloth to remove the pasty pooh. Once the pooh was removed, I dried the area and then applied a bit of mineral oil (baby oil will work, too) to their rear ends and it helped to keep the pooh from sticking. [​IMG]

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

9. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Be careful with the sugar water. I know they need it if they have been shipped for a picker upper. More than a day or two will cause pasty butt. When i got my second order i picked them up and had them home in 2 hours. I didn't give sugar water and haven't had a problem with pasty butt at all. I had lots of it when feeding sugar. Good Luck. BTW I cleaned them with warm wet paper towels.

10. louloubean

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    ok - so what i think you all are saying i WILL NOTICE a poopy butt?

(i have experience - i have two kids in diapers - i KNOW poop butts)

and as long as i don't see it, i don't need to worry too much, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by