Pasty butt?

JudyMcKinn

Songster
13 Years
Jan 24, 2007
SW MO
I have hatched about 50 chicks, ranging from a week old down to a day old. (Most in my incubator, but the rest under 3 determined Silkie hens, who I gave 6 RIR eggs each to, a day apart, accounting for the later hatches.) I seem to have more pasty butts than usual. Not a large percentage, but several. I of course get it off, but wonder if there is something I should be doing that I'm not? They have water and chick crumbles. That's all. they are on pine shavings (which had paper towels over them, with chick feed scattered on the towels till everyone knew about the feeders) They seem active and all. Oh, and I put about a teaspoon of sugar in a quart of water for them, for the first couple days. Some of the ones with the pasty butt look a little dumpy, but mostly not. Any suggestions, or will they probably outgrow it?

Cynthia, do you try to keep the AC vinegar in your chicken water, or is that just sort of a one-time thing if you are having a problem? I haven't ever used it, and not sure what all it is good for.

If I'm having pasty butt issues, I will keep that in the waterer for a period of time. You can keep doing it all the time, if you want, just don't put way too much in, a TBSP to a quart is good. It helps with the pH in the gut, is my understanding. They seem to like the taste, too. It's the organic stuff with mother of vinegar. I get mine at the grocery store with the other ACVs

I read that mixing ground scratch into the starter will reduce pasty butt... Also too high temps at the end of incubation can cause it. I had a little spike near the end of incubation and one of my chicks was born prematurely, with pasty butt along with other problems. (she's doing fine now)

My experience is some what limited but what I have noticed is some chicks get it and some do not. Almost all of my seabrights that were shipped got pasty butt, then a few out of the following hatches/shipments got it. All got the same food and water. It always resolved within a say or two. I now routinely apply a ring of olive oil around the bottom of all of them at about day three and have had no problems. Sure beats trying to wash and pick it off.

Hi Judy!
Try giving them a little tray of sand / grit / dirt.
I had some chicks that had really bad pasty-butt issues and that cleared it right up.
Now, I always try to remember to add it to the brooder when the chicks are a couple of days old and haven't seen any pasty-butts since (of course, that could be coincidental).

Good luck!
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom