Pasty Butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sreihart, May 22, 2010.

1. sreihart

sreihart Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie and just received my chicks on Thursday (ten buff orps and five gold laced wyandottes). I'm so paranoid about my chicks getting pasty butt. If I see even a little streak of poo on their butt I'm wiping it off. One had a little that was hard so I tried to get it off with a warm wet washcloth but it wouldn't budge. So, I got some scissors and trimmed the fluff and cut it off.

Also is there navel below the vent? I sure hope that I don't have those spots backwards![​IMG]

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't worry too much about poo on the feathers around the vent. Just make sure the vent is not obstructed (pasted over). One way to prevent that happening is to apply a small amount of vaseline to the vent with a Q-tip. Pasty butt is caused by stress: shipping, too cold, too hot. Offer room temp water (not cold). There's lots of threads on BYC dealing with pasty butt. Just type that into the search bar and you'll get more info that you ever wanted to know [​IMG] Good luck with your chicks and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by