Firearia

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
One of my chickens has poo stuck to his vent and feathers. However it's not dry yet, or even close I think. Should I leave him alone or try to get it off??

~Thanks

Chicken D's mom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Try to get it off. I always put the chick in my left hand with my hand over its top and wings with it's butt poking out between my thumb and forefinger. I hold it close to my tummy, that way the chick doesn't freak out. Seems to work pretty good.

then I get a bowl of warm water with a saturated paper towel and hold the towl against pasty for a minute or two, resaturating every few seconds. Pasties come right off even if they are dried.

aerosmith_99

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Richlands, North Carolina
Take it off and watch the chicks over the next few days. If it gets dry you will have to moisten a towel with warm water tosoften it up. Don't try to pull it off or the intestines could come with it.

Firearia

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Ooh, okay I'll try! I've already tried several damp tissues and a q-tip. That doesn't work so I'll try that. The one thing is this chick's a little jumper so he's hard to handle. x_x

Karen_at_LittleBrook

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
Rome, NY
I had a few with pasty butt the first couple of days.... what worked the best for me was cotton balls & Q-tips w/warm water. For some reason the cotton balls just worked better than anything else. If the PB was bad or really dry/hard I saturated it with the cotton ball, keeping the chick warm and secure in my hand. I used a dry cotton ball to dab-dry and when done put her back under the heat lamp.... worked for me!

Top Bottom