Pasty Butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Firearia, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my chickens has poo stuck to his vent and feathers. However it's not dry yet, or even close I think. Should I leave him alone or try to get it off??

~Thanks

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Get it off now, if you can. It will turn hard and dry shortly!

3. Chicken D's mom

Chicken D's mom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Try to get it off. I always put the chick in my left hand with my hand over its top and wings with it's butt poking out between my thumb and forefinger. I hold it close to my tummy, that way the chick doesn't freak out. Seems to work pretty good.

then I get a bowl of warm water with a saturated paper towel and hold the towl against pasty for a minute or two, resaturating every few seconds. Pasties come right off even if they are dried.

4. aerosmith_99

aerosmith_99 Out Of The Brooder

Take it off and watch the chicks over the next few days. If it gets dry you will have to moisten a towel with warm water tosoften it up. Don't try to pull it off or the intestines could come with it.

5. Firearia

Ooh, okay I'll try! I've already tried several damp tissues and a q-tip. That doesn't work so I'll try that. The one thing is this chick's a little jumper so he's hard to handle. x_x

6. SouthernChick

SouthernChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Hold the chick next to you and he should calm down as you clean the poop off. Good Luck

7. Firearia

Ok, we tried. Well my dad did and I think it's gone for now. ^^

8. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    I had a few with pasty butt the first couple of days.... what worked the best for me was cotton balls & Q-tips w/warm water. For some reason the cotton balls just worked better than anything else. If the PB was bad or really dry/hard I saturated it with the cotton ball, keeping the chick warm and secure in my hand. I used a dry cotton ball to dab-dry and when done put her back under the heat lamp.... worked for me!

9. k7ailaan

k7ailaan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    after you remove and clean .. wipe with oil

10. Downshifting

Downshifting Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:What type of oil...Mineral oil?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by