Pasty butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trashcan79, Jul 19, 2010.

1. trashcan79

trashcan79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Hope this is the right forum...
    I have a 1 year old hen that has a perpetually pasty butt. I've been Googling around and have read several possible diagnoses, but wanted to put this out to get some specific opinions and comments.

Details:
    1 year old RIR
    Lives with another 1 year old RIR (other hen has no problems)
    Doesn't seem to be laying often, but can't be certain as we aren't home during weekdays to monitor laying
    We do find loose stools in the hen house and coop, but we can't be certain which hen those belong to (see above)
    Otherwise, she seems fine. Eats, drinks and free ranges with gusto.

Other possible things to note:
    My wife is convinced that her wattles are turning white (as opposed to red). I'm not convinced of this
    We found a tiny egg (quail size) in the coop last week next to a regular sized egg
    Neither hen roosts at night. They both sleep on the hen house bedding (which I keep pretty clean considering it is a hen house)

So here's my questions:
    What's should I do to clean her up?
    What other things can I check for to make a diagnosis?
    Could this be due to her 'floor sleeping' or more likely an illness/infection?
    Should I try to get them roosting instead of sleeping on the bedding?

Thanks, your comments, tips, suggestions are appreciated!

-Chris

2. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Pasty Butt actually refers more to a condition in baby chicks rather than in adult hens.

What are you feeding her? Excessive fruits and veggies can cause diarrhea or watery droppings. Also have you ever dewormed your chickens? Does she appear to be underweight because of that?

When was the first time you have noticed her condition? Where I live, it has been extremely hot over the last week and so all my chickens were drinking a lot, panting and not eating as much as usual which can cause a change in their dropping consistency.
    What is the color of her droppings?

You can clean her up by giving her a warm bath (or just her rear end). However, you need to observe her a little more, if all or just a few droppings are watery. Find out what causes the change in their droppings.
    I do not really think that sleeping on the floor causes her condition, but can you tell us what her bedding is?

Lets start here and [​IMG]

3. trashcan79

trashcan79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm feeding her Layer crumble from the local pet store. I usually use the organic stuff, but they have been out.

Her butt has been like this on and off for most of the time that I've had her. 9 months, give or take.

Not sure about the droppings color/consistency because we aren't out watching the girls that often. I do find some loose/watery stools in the yard that I assume are her, but can't be sure. I'll be keeping my eyes open though.

They are sleeping on pine shavings.

Thanks!

4. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    That sounds like the right diet. Have you ever dewormed your chickens and checked them for parasites? If you cannot see any it does not mean they do not have any. As she is not laying very well or even not at all for you at the moment, now is the time to do it. Repeat in about 7 to 10 days.

Is she underweight? A change in their diet can cause this, too, but you mentioned that she has this condition on and off since you have her. Are you sure that nobody else is feeding them treats like fruits or veggies when you are not around?

5. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I have had a RIR that just always collected poo on her booty but was otherwise very healthy, and I dewormed her on a schedule. I think some are just prone to it if they have extra fluffy butt feathers! I'd just take the hose to her (in warm weather) --it should only take 30 seconds-- and keep her clean since a clinging poop will only collect additional poop, if you know what I mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by