pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicknmania, Jul 29, 2010.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Hi

we have never had an experience with this, so are looking for answers. Considering the number of broodies we've had this year, we've had a
    dissapointingly low hatch rate and I really think it has to do with the heat, ,I think the heat killed the majority of the developing
    eggs. Anyway, out of the last batch we had one hatch. Baby doesn't seem to be growing very fast, seems a little weaker than she should be, doesn't seem
    to eat as well as she should, and has pasty butt. How do we treat this, and what causes it? She is on non-medicated chick starter and occasional scrambled egg.
    normally wouldnt give her the egg, but thought it might help her get stronger, which it may have, who knows, she is stronger than a week ago.
    She is about ten days old now. We had five hatch six weeks or so before her and they all developed into normal healthy pullets/ cockerels, but that was
    at the onset of the extreme heat wave, so they missed most of it.

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Is your baby chick inside or outside?

I don't get pasty butt very often but when I do it is usually because the temp in the brooder is not were it needs to be, on the cooler side. When I adjust my temp back up, it takes care of itself. If your little one is outside, it makes it difficult to control temps, someone told me one time you could give them very finely chopped carrot as a treat and that helps with the pasty butt issue.

I would continue to give the egg, good protein. A couple years back I started giving my chicks crumbled hard boiled yolk as a treat everyday. I noticed that they seemed to grow faster and were more vigerous, even the runts.

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    She is inside the barn in an enclosed elevated pen that has two wire doors and a top you can raise to allow air flow. She is there with her mom. If anything
    I would say it is too warm in there, rather than too cool, although the ventilation is good. I will try the finely chopped carrot and some more egg. Thank you!

4. tracyrene

tracyrene Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Granite Falls
    I recently had a chick with pasty butt. I had to clean her butt two times a day. I had read on here to put a little olive oil on her after washing off the poo (which I did) to help make the poo not stick to her. After a week it was gone. I didn't give her anything but water and medicated starter. I would grind up the starter and add warm water to it and she would go nuts eating it! Good luck!

5. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    Did you give her chick grit? Sometimes they get pasty but if they don't have enough grit.

6. black_fx_35

black_fx_35 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Any idea how long pasty but is a concern for? 1 week old? 2? Thanks

7. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    About three weeks and you should be out of it, however I just had to clean off Mrs. Fluffy (she's 2 years old!) because she's so fluffy, so just keep an eye out!

8. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    She has chick grit. She seems a bit slow about eating anything though. Mom makes frantic attempts
    to show her the food/ grit; but she seems slow in getting the idea. She is awful cute, I hope she turns out ok.
    Course, I've never seen a chick that wasnt. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by