Pasty butt

Justhatched

Songster
8 Years
May 24, 2011
We have 4 silkies and only 1 of them has pasty butt. We've had them a week now and they are 2 1/2 weeks old. Why does this one have pasty butt all the time and none of the others? What age can I expect it to clear up?

Usually pasty butt is caused by stress or being chilled at some point. 2 1/2 weeks is quite old-it usually clears up in about a week. Can you tell us about your brooder, temperature, size, etc.and feed? Maybe something needs to be changed here.
hu.gif
AND
welcome-byc.gif

Our brooder is 2x2x6. We have 16 chicks in there. We feed them mash with a bit of yogurt daily and poly vi sol w/o iron in the water. We us a heat lamp w/ a 100watt bulb in the house. When we got them two of our silkies had pasty butt. She cleaned them and told me it would clear up. The other one cleared up this one didn't. I'll but a blanket over the top to see it that helps. I didn't think of (s)he being cold. Come to think of it, (s)he is usually always under the heat lamp. Thanks
smile.png

You might want to buy a thermometer to see what the temperature is under the light. It should be around 85 degrees or a little less. One way to check if she is cold is to cup her in your hands and lift her toward the light. She will snuggle in and fall asleep if she is cold. However, most chicks who are cold peep a lot to show their discomfort. You also might not need the vitamins any more. I've never used them, so maybe someone who has will comment.
smile.png

N&MSchroeder :

You might want to buy a thermometer to see what the temperature is under the light. It should be around 85 degrees or a little less. One way to check if she is cold is to cup her in your hands and lift her toward the light. She will snuggle in and fall asleep if she is cold. However, most chicks who are cold peep a lot to show their discomfort. You also might not need the vitamins any more. I've never used them, so maybe someone who has will comment.
smile.png

I put a thermometer in their yesterday and it was in the high 80's low 90's. I also put a blanket over part of the brooder to help with the heat (it was cold here yesterday). I'll have to adjust it to get the right temp. Thanks.​

watch out about it being too warm, we've read that that can cause pasty butt also. one of our 2 silkies battled pasty butt for almost 2 weeks, we finally added a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to their water and she's now doing great! good luck and just keep checking that little bum!
welcome-byc.gif

ginger c. :

watch out about it being too warm, we've read that that can cause pasty butt also. one of our 2 silkies battled pasty butt for almost 2 weeks, we finally added a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to their water and she's now doing great! good luck and just keep checking that little bum!
welcome-byc.gif

I've been thinking about acv. I need to get a new waterer though. Right now it's 80 degrees in there. I will continue to check. Thanks.​

Back
Top Bottom