Pasty Butt

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickiebabyfluff, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    What does one do for pasty butt? And is there a way to prevent it?

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    With a warm wet washcloth, wash the poo away, being careful of the umbilical cord. Apply a drop or two of olive oil to the feathers around the bum to help prevent sticking. Repeat as soon as it is noticed, sometimes it lasts a couple weeks. Warmer temps in the brooder can help pasty butt. Put a thermometer in there to make sure your brooder is warm enough. 95-100 week 1, then drop by 5 degrees each week.

Watch closely, pasty can be fatal if not cleaned up.

3. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    I had 2 with pasty butt on my first hatch...I washed their little bums a few times a day with warm paper towel. You have to keep the vent clean, you can use a q-tip too to gently clean. It only lasted for a few days, haven't had any problems since. I'm not sure what causes it. They were eating and drinking fine. Just got a little stopped up.[​IMG]

4. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    well just got done have 39 babies with only a few tht have pasty butt :eek:) Trying to catch those lil sweeties was a job in itself!! Ty for the advise!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by