Pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiny529, Jun 26, 2011.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    After getting the poo off of the baby's bottom, should I do anything other than towel dry her a bit? My one book says to blow them dry on low but that seems like a bad idea to me... [​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Wash then blow dry on low heat. I've done this with 3 chicks. One chick had pasty butt for 2 weeks straight.

3. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I use warm water on their butt only to get the poop off then I use a towel to gently rub while I slowly blow air from my mouth at the same time. It takes a minute or two to dry and because I am not using a dryer its not loud and doesn't scare them.

4. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    I wrap them in a cotton kitchen towel and sit with them in my ( or a family member's ) lap until they are sleeping warm and cozy again. We just sit, watching TV or doing hand crafts like crochet for about 40 minutes. That gives them lost of lap time. It also tames them to not fear us huge lumbering creatures and look to us for comfort .

5. gd4sumthnmom

gd4sumthnmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    Our first loss was because of this. No one at the feed store told me to watch for this and I didn't know what was wrong. I finally figured it out and after 2 days of working with her, she died. I wish I had known sooner what was wrong.

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Also put a bit of either baby oil or olive oil or Vaseline around the vent area to keep further poo from sticking and it makes it tons easier to get off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by