Pasty Butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crystal195655, Jan 31, 2012.

1. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    I am new to raising chickens, I have 9 baby chicks that I am guessing were hatched on the 27th or so. received them from McM...all were in pretty good shape, but I lost one this afternoon....she looked good earlier in the day other than she had a little pasty butt....I cleaned her bum off and couple hours later I went out to check on them and she was dead. My question is what happens if the pasty butt is left alone or not caught soon enough, will they die? Also, I noticed a couple others have just a small amount on their bum, should it be cleaned off right away? HELP!!!! I don't want to lose any more chicks.

2. P'Fowls

P'Fowls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Dahlonega, Ga
    Yes it needs to be cleaned off asap. They will die. I have to constantly check ours. Silkies are one of the worst ones I have to get pasty butts. I know this sounds mean, but when they get pasty butts, take a tissue and grab the poo, pull hard and try to pull the fur out. If you do that they will not get matted up again. It doesnt hurt them. It just stings a second, but they wont be like that anymore until they get older. The first couple of weeks are the most crucial on keeping them clean and not handling them but the minimum needed to clean them. Its ok if they have a little below their hole in their fur, just make sure the hole is clear. By doing the above that will take care of the problem.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I hold the chick's bum under a stream of running water, tepid, not hot or cold. Within a few seconds, I crumble the dampened poop off. Pat dry.
    I also apply some vasoline or olive oil on it. It seems to help future sticking. If dried poop dries their vent shut, yes, it can be terminal.

Stress from shipping is the leading cause. It usually goes away within days. If it is still occurring, Check to see if they are too hot. De-hydration is often the culprit.

4. P'Fowls

Mar 2, 2011
    Dahlonega, Ga
    I dont think shipping has anything to do with it. I hatch my own birds and its just part of having chicks. Last year from March to July I sold 1500+ chicks thru our store. Alot of those I hatched in house and some we shipped in. It didnt make no difference in wether they were shipped or I hatched them. If they get dehydrated it seems like they would be more apt to be constipated than they would for the poop to be dry on them. Saying that dehydration is often the culprit really doesnt make sense to me. If they dehydrate, then there water level is low making the poo harden causing constipation. But anything is possible as I am no expert and dont claim to be. It is mother natures creatures.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    When I incubate chicks I use dirt (from garden stores with no fertilizer) so they don't get pasty butts, the sand the peck at in the dirt keeps them from getting pasted. Just a suggestion. [​IMG]

6. P'Fowls

Mar 2, 2011
    Dahlonega, Ga
    I am sure there are several things to do and ways to help prevent it. My way just works best for me. Everyone has their own ways that works for them. Which is the key to success, finding what works for the individual.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Mine have it too, they're 2 weeks old. I got a little nervous and took one in the house, ran warm water over its bum and used a q-tip to losen it up. I finally gave up on that and got out the scissors and cut it off - it was clear of the vent... I wish I'd known about the oil.... I towel dried it and got out the hair dryer - the chick got quiet! I think s/he likes the hair dryer! Then I put it back with the others, good as new :)

I also moved their heat lamp up a few inches yesterday. I was trying to harden them up a little, but it sounds like it might be good for this too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by