1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty Butt...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maev, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Maev

Maev Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    Hi guys!
    I have a few chicks with pasty butt. I was wondering how often I should check them? Is once every 24 hours often enough or do I need to up it to every 12 hours? Just a newbie needing a little reassurance...hehe Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Once a day is fine. It usually doesn't last very long.

3. Maev

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    Thanks Happy Chooks! Just needed somebody with more experience to tell me once a day was enough.
    Oh! The other thing I was wondering. Do I need to change the water and scrub the container every time I notice poop in it or would it be ok to just change the water twice a day?

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Cleaning out the poop by changing the water is fine. If it gets slimy feeling, then it's time for a deep cleaning.

5. Maev

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    Ok...Here I was scrubbing the water container with soap and hot water every time they pooped in it. lol Thanks for answering my questions!

6. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    following this thread closely. i think my babies are coming mon or tues. i'm going to watch for pasty butt, keep the water clean & whatever else it takes so these little darlins can survive & thrive. i have wrestled with the temp in their brooder for days & days. i think maybe i've got it...not too hot & not too cold - just right.

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No need to stress over it. If they are too cold, they will peep loudly and form a pile. If they are too hot, you will see them spread out and panting. (beak open and neck pulsing)

I have never brooded chicks at 95, mine are always too hot at that temperature. I brood my chicks between 85-90 degrees. I don't even check the temperature anymore, I just watch the chicks.

I never get pasty butt anymore, but I hatch my own chicks. I think pasty butt happens when they get chilled in shipping.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. Maev

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    About the temp...You've probably heard this, but it really is true, the chicks themselves are the best indication of whether or not your temp is right. I messed with a thermometer for a couple weeks under the brooder lamps going up and down trying to get it figured out before I got my chicks. I thought I had my lamps set up exactly right. When I got the chicks in the brooder and after observing them for awhile I decided to lower the lamps a couple inches because they were all huddled underneath the light. So a thermometer is helpful but the chicks should be your main "thermometer".

9. Maev

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    That's the other thing I noticed. When chicks are content they make these soft little chipping noises but are pretty quiet otherwise. But when they're unhappy they will let you know...Man, when I was getting them out of the shipping box and into the brooder they just about made me deaf. lol But once they got under the light and warmed up and got their tummies full of water and food they quieted right down.

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've had day olds in this:
    [​IMG]

Currently have babies in that coop without a heat lamp. I'm trying out my brand new Brinsea Eco Glow brooder - the chicks LOVE it! It has worked beautifully in my outdoor brooder coop with temps being down to 38 degrees outside. I did supplement with a 100 watt light bulb for the first week, because I was worried about it working in the cold weather. (it's rated down to 40 degrees INSIDE and I'm using it outside) It is radiant heat, like a heating pad, no fire danger like a heat lamp and it's only uses 18 watts of power.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by