pasty butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aznewbe, Feb 18, 2007.

1. aznewbe

aznewbe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2007
    I have a couple chicks with pasty butt. I pulled it off the best i could. Any thing else i should do or check for.
    thanks.

2. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    I use warm water and a soft cloth to soak the poopies, and then gently rub away. I don't want pull thier feathers out, wich can happen so easily. You have to keep an eye on buildup, cause it can block up and babie can die.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    HenHappy is correct with her method, being careful is important and you should have no problems. It's best to keep an eye open for a while til the stress from shipping is over and the pasting will stop.

bigzio

4. aznewbe

aznewbe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2007
    Thanks for your replys. they are getting better

5. sloper74

sloper74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    We usually get some pasty vents on the 2nd or 3rd day. I run their butts under warm water and pull off the poop gently. I also apply petroleum jelly after their butts have dried - seems to help.

6. Marc33

Marc33 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    I've also been having some trouble, and will try some of the advice here - a question, though. If you run their bums under warm water, does that cause a problem with being chilled or do they warm up right away once you put them back? Also, what temp water is the best?

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

They should be fine if you use warm, not hot, water and put them back under their light.
    I use water that is comfortable for me to touch... I guess that would be lukewarm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by