1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tpflabs, Aug 7, 2008.

1. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    OK, what is it, how do they get it, why do they get it, what prevents it.
    I think I have a pretty good mind picture of what it is, but WHY does it happen?

2. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Well my keets got it from shipping stress, the actual mechanics of it I couldn't tell you, but somehow the stress causes diarrhea which then sticks to the down, hardens, etc.

You'd need a vet or someone to explain the clinical reasons.

You could try googling.

3. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    when my chicks were shipped from Randall burkey a month ago they were late. that extra time is so critical that when I did get them they were all uber Iffy.

I gave them gro-gel (I cant say ENOUGH about the wonders of that stuff, I still have used it on sick chicks and even the most stubborn will peck at it) and plenty of warm water and feed to calm them down. I ended up with about 6 cases of pasty, but caught it. It was all stress related.

I read that there are 2 methods in removal. Damp cloth day after day...seems stressful to me

Or

A heartbreaking quick tug at the troubled fuzz to rmove it. takes 3 secs and they are over it immediatly.

though bare butt chicks are funny to watch;)

I did Neosporin them for a couple of days and was relieved to know that fot them pasty would no longer be an issue.

They are 4-going on 5 weeks old and all are healthy and happy:D

4. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    does it happen just to chicks? or can the hens have it too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by