pasty butt??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fieldsems, Aug 7, 2008.

1. fieldsems

fieldsems Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Paris Tn
    my week old chick has pasty butt I have tried the warm water and its not working any other ideas?

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    at what temp are you keeping the chicks?

what color is the droppings?

what do you mean you're using warm water?
    to clean the area?

have you soaked the area?
    tried pulling it off?

it's extremely important that the vent is cleared ASAP.

3. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Yes, you have to clear the area...it may already be too late! I lost a chick at a week and a half - almost 2 weeks old back in May because I knew nothing about it. I just thought she was dirty back there. By the time I found out what it was and removed it, it was too late. It is so, so serious. I would use warm water, a toothpick, scissors...anything that you can use to pull it away and not hurt her at the same time. Good luck-please keep us posted.

4. fieldsems

Aug 2, 2008
    Paris Tn
    I tried soaking in warm water am I supposed to pull it off?

5. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Quote:be gentle...but, yes, carefully clean the area so the vent is free of blockage

6. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    soak the area long enough and it will loosen up and come off. Take your time though, and be as gentle as you can because it is a vere sensitive area and their skin is very thin.

I have 24 four week olds and three of mine had pasty butt for a few days. I just kept on booty patrol a couple times a day. From what I have read here and other places I gave them warm water to drink and put a little sugar in the water, cleaned the area really well, and lubed their butts up with olive oil so future poos would stick less in the area. You may want to separate them so the others don't pick at the wet area or make sure they are fully dry before returning them. After they are wet wrap them in a towel and hold them a while to keep them warm.

You should see it clear up in a couple days if it is just pasty butt.

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  7. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    and what all are you feeding the chicks?

clear the vent any way you can...like yesterday.

8. fieldsems

Aug 2, 2008
    Paris Tn
    they are on a starter feed and they eat bugs at night because there brooder is outside they havent taken any sort of treats yet

9. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I had this with the meat birds:barnie, never had with the any of the egg girls.

out of 16 birds i had 5 that had it.

i knew they could die from this, I took a package of baby wipes, added about 2 cups of water to it, and then warmed up the very wet wipes, and held the wipe to the their bum to soften and get the poop off, then once i got it all off about 2 to 4 wipes later, I rubbed Bag Balm all around the area.

Plus i mixed in 50% Organic corn meal to 50% Organic Oat flour to 50% to there feed. I did this until it cleared up which took about 5 days. with a handful of baby Chick grit. with the mix

10. fieldsems

Aug 2, 2008
    Paris Tn
    Thanks all for your help I took a warm washcloth and held that to her bottom for a while and then just started picking and pulling a little bit of course she screamed but I got it off! Her bottom is awful red though. So can anyone tell me what causes this or how to prevent this in the future and lastly do big chickens get this or just babies?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by