1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pasty butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bychick5618, Feb 6, 2014.

1. bychick5618

bychick5618 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    I'm having a problem with pasty butt. what am I doing wrong? they are getting chick feed, some sugar in their water, and quick chick in water also.Almost all 25 chicks are affected. Help! They are 6 days old. I have had then for 4 days now. They did not arrive with pasty butt.

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome!
    You're not doing anything wrong - it just happens sometimes. [​IMG] Try making a sort of gruel out of their starter. Add water to the feed so they are getting plenty of liquid in addition to regular/vitamin water. As you've probably found out, the best treatment for pasty butt is warm water 'sits' (don't let go of the bird), gentle scrubbing with paper towel/cloth and pick the rest off with your fingernail....[​IMG]...a touch of olive oil or such to the rear and voila!! one clean bum.
    The joys of being a chicken slave eh? Sue

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check your brooder temp,often if too high they will get pasty butt.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree it's likely your brooder is too hot. Can you give a detailed description, with measurements, or take a picture? Folks tend to overheat their chicks, when in fact most of the brooder should be at room temp, with a warm place for the chicks to go. Size could be an issue also, 25 chicks need about 25 square feet, and will need twice that in another 3ish weeks.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I'd also probably nix the sugar in the water. By 6 days old they really don't need it. If they are too warm they'll drink a lot and they don't need the extra sugar. When I have chicks shipped I'll do Save-A-Chick in the water for a day or so and after that just plain, fresh water, nothing added.

6. bychick5618

bychick5618 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Thank you all, for your wonderful suggestions! I'll do them and let you know how it goes just in case!

7. bychick5618

bychick5618 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Thank You!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by