1. RosebudHeritage

RosebudHeritage New Egg

Feb 4, 2014
    California
    I have a new batch of chicks and a few of them have pasty butt. I've been watching them closely, trying to make sure I can get them as clean as possible without hurting them, but two of them have gone almost completely bald on their butts! They're barely 10 days old so I'm a little worried. Any ideas if this is normal? I've never noticed this in other batches of chicks I've had in the past.
    One is a Barred Rock and the other is a Delaware.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine did too. Maybe one or some of these pointers will help:

Be sure they are well hydrated and not too hot. Very young chicks often foul their water quickly, so it may need some attention. Put it up on a brick or similar if you can. For not too hot, it's a very good thing for them to be able to move away from their heat source to wherever they are comfortable. If you have some, a little organic ACV (apple cider vinegar) in the water does seem to help. Some people put a little molasses in the water.

Also, for those you have cleaned, put a little lubricant around their vent to discourage future poops from sticking. You can use Vaseline, veggie oil, Crisco, even Neosporin -- whatever you have. I found it easiest to clean them by holding their back end under a slow stream of running warm water. It takes a few minutes. If I didn't get every fleck off every feather tip, frankly, I didn't worry about it. It shouldn't be a problem as long as the skin doesn't have any open cuts or abrasions.

Good luck!

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi when my chick had pasty but I found a wonderful cure! It's Proboscis. Given in the water. It's good for the whole folk as well! It balances their systems by adding beneficial bacteria into their guts.once the beneficial bacteria makes colonies it actually will fight off bad bacteria that causes things like diarrhea and worse. It helped my chick get back to normal and I started using it on my whole flock and I never had trouble with diarrhea as long as I was using the probotic. The probotic I use in my flock is Probios. I order it online and it lasts for months because you only use a teaspoon per gallon of water. You can read about it or order it from www.Probios.com . I really believe in this product and I'm certain your chicks and adult birds will benefit alike.i never rave much about products but this probotic has really been wonderful. I discovered it a few years ago when I had a chick that kept pasting up.i decided to try it and it's been so wonderful I've used it since. I start all my babies on it as well as adults. I really hope this helps. I belive if you try it you will be pleased with the results. Best wishes. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by