1. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I have had this happen before,but this time it seems more common with adult hens.I recently cleaned my hen,she is production red has never had health issues,at least i have not realized or anything that I know of.

My question is:Is there any way to make it stop completely?Her feathers on the vent are clean,and I gota nice chunk from the Pasty butt,it also flake off,The whiting color is still stuck on there and I even used hot water,any suggestions?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd check her for mites/lice.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    x2.

Flip her upside down and part the feathers around her vent. Shine a light, and if you see any little red or white bugs scatter or find eggs attached to the base of the feathers, you've got mites/lice.

Treatment: Sevin dust (available at Home Depot, Lowes, and maybe Tractor Supply) on the vent and under the wings like you'd powder a newborn baby... Just make sure to rub her feathers the wrong way and let the dust get all the way to her skin. Treat again in seven days, and again in seven days... A total of three treatments over three weeks, seven days apart. :)

Keep us posted!

MrsB

4. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    OK!

I need to go check,luckily she is very tamed!What if I don't find Lice?

5. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    : Update:

I checked and saw no mites/lice.Most of my pasty butts have never even had it,but I have notice my birds scratching like never before!

I should have also mentioned,my small lump of poop I got was the only real deal,it was only enough to coonect to feathers.Also,her pasty butts not bad.I am just concern because I have it alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by