pasty butts and won't let me even near them

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by obsessedwchicks, Feb 18, 2013.

1. obsessedwchicks

obsessedwchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    I have about a couple new baby chicks that have pasty butts and i try to be calm and gentle with them to try to wipe it all off, but they huddle together like a little herd of sheep in a corner……. Should I just grab one and do it or is there a better way to do this than what other people in my family are suggesting? I want be gentle, and not like do any harm.

2. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    You can grab them, but be very gentle about it. How old are they? You may have to spend more time with them so they can get used to you. It won't hurt to grab them, as long as you are gentle and you don't just thrust your hands at them. If you don't wipe off the paste, their vents will get clogged and they will die. It's best to try and get the paste off as soon as possible. Good Luck!

Also, if you have grit that you can give them, you can give them some treats. Such as scrambled egg, oatmeal, etc. Treats always help chickens learn to trust you. Just don't give them any treats if you don't have grit to give to them to help digest the treats.

3. obsessedwchicks

obsessedwchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    Their a couple days old, so after I get back home, I'll try to grab them and get it all off.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sorry, chicks, but pasty butt can be fatal, so like it or not, that poop must come off A.S.A.P.
    Approach them slowly and gently and cover their heads with your hand when you hold them. This will calm them a bit. Hold them under some running water (lukewarm) or with their backsides in some lukewarm water until the poop's soft enough to remove. Pat the area dry and apply some vaseline to stop the next poop sticking. Add a little ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their water (4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water) as this will also help prevent it.

5. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    I agree with Sumi, mine are 3 weeks old and still huddle in the corner even though I handle them very gently several times a day, they know I'm harmless but still act all scared until I pick one up then they suddenly remember I'm the lady who gives massages, it just takes a lot of time for them to really get used to you!

Good luck, also after you clean their bottoms off put some Vaseline or ky jelly on their bottom and around the smooth the fluff down to help keep the poo from sticking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by