Pasty butts in chicks

wefroggy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Wild Mountain Thyme Farm, PA
I know there is a previous post about this, but I couldn't find it. I am new to the group and new to chickens. I got my chicks on Monday, and have them in their brooder, they are eating, drinking and moving about happily. Last night a couple of the chicks had pasty butts, I cleaned them off and put vaseline on them. One book I have said it is caused by cold and drafts, the other book I have and postings here say it is high temp. The temp in my brooder is at 93 and the chicks are not displaying any signs of being overheated.
Any suggestions?
Heidi

I don't know what the cause of pasty bum is but as I recall it only lasted for the first 2-3 days in my baby chicks and hasn't returned again. They are now 6 weeks old, hope that helps.

I also had a couple with pasty butt, I cleaned them off, but I didn't hear about the vaseline:/ What does that do, and does it make their little feathers stick and expose their little red butts for pecking:(

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

Back
Top Bottom