Pasty Butts. Seems worse than I recall.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brian, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    I'm a bit concerned. I'd say 25% of my 3-4 day old chicks now have pasty butts since they've been on the real chick ration for a day now. I've read that you simply take a wet napkin and rub it off gently. I've done that, but I have to tell you, it was pretty crusted on and didn't want to come off easily. I'm afraid to just pull it off, as a lot of downy feathers will come off with it and I don't want to injure the little cuties. Any advice?
    Brian

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've been told feeding day olds right off the bat causes pasty butt...I've had a few first chicks do this .... what I did if all the goop didn't come off with warm water and a cloth is use a small pair of scissors to gently cut some of this off...hope that helps...

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If there's quite a bit I usually just pull it off. They lose some down, but it keeps it from building back up quite as badly.

4. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Take a q-tip, dip in olive oil and run a ring around the opening and soak some on the poo. It will fall off or pull off easier in a day or two. (You have to be sure to clear the opening for evacuation of more poo).
    I learned to just routinely apply a ring of olive oil on day two of every hatch and have not had another case of pasty butt.

5. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Olive oil. That sounds like a good one. Thank you folks.

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I cut it off down and all. You bont have to worry about it building up again either

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You may want to check your brooder temp as well. Sometimes if it's too hot or too cool, they paste up like this. Definitely keep it clean and apply some oil (which keeps it from resticking so fast). Check them daily, cuz if its blocked too long they could die from this.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by