1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty butts!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinbantam-lover, May 17, 2009.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi, I need to know if I should start cleaning some little butts. There is some stuck but not very much! Should I do it now? I don't want to terrorize them they just got here but I don't want to let it get bad either. And how in the world can you dip their little butts in water without getting any other part wet?

thanks!

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Yes you may need to clean their butts with a warm damp cloth or towel

3. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I'm scared to do it they are so tiny!! I'll do tho! Thanks!

4. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    If it is blocking the vent in ANY way, you need to remove it ASAP. If they can't poo, they will die. Better to terrorize them a little than let that happen!

If a warm, wet washcloth won't do the trick, try soaking their bottoms in warm water... they will get a little wet, but they'll dry out under a heat lamp. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks, I'm on it!!!!

6. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    It's hard to see where their little butts are, so tiny! Got them cleaned up, one had it pretty bad, didn't even look so bad till I picked him up and started workin. there were I think 3 others with just a tiny bit on, wiped that off too. was it ok to put mineral oil on his little butt? [just the one]

Thanks, don't know what I would do without you guys! [​IMG]

I will sit down and watch them more this evening to make sure I didn't miss anyone. They will be ok now right? It isn't something contagious is it? I will have to do this often too won't I?

7. Put Apple Cider Vinegar in their waterer. Use about one teaspoon per quart water, no more.

This really helps with the pasty butt !!

8. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Any substitutes, none of that in the house! [​IMG]

Thanks!

9. Sorry, none that I know of. Just wait until you go to town and pick up a half gallon. This will go a LLOONNGG way.

10. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Shoot, well I will do that! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by