1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pasty butts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Paco, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Paco

Paco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Enid,Ok
    I've had this order of chicks for a couple of weeks ans pasty butts been a problem. For now they are all in the clear but is there something I can do to help prevent this? And one chick has a bare rear end and the others pick at it occacionaly (sp) when and if the grow back how long will it take ?

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Welcome to the wonderful world of baby chicks. Try giving them some plain yogurt with their feed mixed in with it and lightly coat their backside with mineral oil to keep the droppings from sticking.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you get a bottle of unfiltered prganic apple cider vinegar with "the mother" in it, add a couple teaspoons to a quart waterer (plastic only). It seems to help with pasty butt. I buy Spectrum brand at Ingles grocery chain-right next to the other vinegars.

4. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Quote:You don't have to give grit with the yougurt right? Just with other snackies like meal worms? That seems obvious, but I always like to double check...

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    To prevent pasty butt, you want to check your brooder temps. This is the typical reason for developing this issue, although sometimes there are digestive reasons. If they are too warm or too cold, they can get this problem. You can usually see ones standing around like little sargeants or huddled if they're chilly. You will usually see them trying to get away from the light or sleeping a lot or even panting if they're too warm. If they're active and showing no signs of temperature issues, then it could be the food. I recommend only feeding baby chicks a formulated chick feed for proper growth and development and until they're digestive systems are working well. There are some natural remedies, as mentioned (apple cider vinegar, yogurt and dry milk) that can help. Other treats can cause more problems. I hope this helps.

6. Little_Rooster66

Little_Rooster66 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Northwest Kansas
    I had the same problem and did a search on here (there is a wealth of info on this forum) [​IMG] and found several threads that cover this issue. I found one that said to try a little molasses in their in their water (is a laxative for fowl I learned [​IMG] ), mix it to a light tea color and give to them for 1 day. Along with the mineral/olive oil on the vent to keep poo from sticking and this seemed to have corrected the issue for me. [​IMG] It was also stated that one of the causes of this keeping the food and water too close to their heat lamp and they are getting too hot while eating and drinking. Are your food and water dishes away from the light so they can access without being under the lamp? Mine was so I moved it a little further away from the light as well. I hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by