Pasty butts?

Kanga77510

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Santa Fe, TX
My fluffy butt chicks are quickly becoming pasty butt chicks. It's really easy to see on my yellow and white babies. If they were in a brooder, I'd scoop everyone up and clean them. These chicks are with their moms all day. The moms aren't going to let me get to their babies very easily. So, to clean or not to clean, that is the question?

Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited:
I had one mamma raised pasty butt. I'd go out with a wet cotton ball and tuck his head against my body while I held the wet cotton to his bottom. Since he was snuggled, and could hear mom, he wasn't too stressed. Once the poo was soft enough I'd wipe it off and set him down.

I had some that had pretty bad pasty butt that I could not catch to clean. The clumps around their vents eventually just fell off with their the fluff. They just ended up walking around with bare butts until their feathers started growing in. None of them died or got sick. I can't say that yours will be fine, but mine survived just fine and are running around happy and healthy now

Well, we tried netting them to clean up the nasty butts. It didn't go too well. Hens were ticked off, babies upset, nearly stepped on a couple. So, we'll wait and see what happens I guess. I might get brave and go in this weekend with a pair of gloves and low light, but we'll see.

So I'm in the same boat with the pasty butt.
What's the best way to get it off the chicks butt?

Someone told me to add some oats to the food and that should help?

Sorry to hijack but on topic I think

So I'm in the same boat with the pasty butt.
What's the best way to get it off the chicks butt?
Someone told me to add some oats to the food and that should help?
Sorry to hijack but on topic I think
I'm dealing with this issue as well and was advised in another thread to hold their bottoms under a stream of tepid water until it softens and releases from the feathers and to continue as needed until it clears. I am also giving them plain greek yogurt with chick crumbles sprinkled on top, and plenty of water with a little apple cider vinegar added. Also was told that it is important to keep vents clear because if you don't it can build up and dry, not allowing them to poop and eventually kill them.

Back
Top Bottom