Pasty pink tinged poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lady of McCamley, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I picked up a New Hampshire Red pullet (Seller stated hatched mid-February but smaller than my 9 week old birds, so guessing 7 weeks old?) at Saturday's swap that appears healthy in everyway except that just today I noticed her dropping a well formed but pink-red-brown dropping.

(She is spearated with the other 2 pullets I purchased who also look healthy in every way). I've not noticed any diarrhea in the bedding or observation.

From my research I'm guessing coccidiosis??

My daughter works at a vet clinic and can take droppings in for examination, but she is off for the next couple of days and would wait until Friday to do that unless this is more urgent. She's guessing worms of some sort, and the whole flock should then be de-wormed.

Should we take a sample in and plan to treat immediately or can this wait a day or two?

Thanks
    Lady of McCamley

2. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Thank you Celtic Druid, that was most helpful.

I checked the photo link, and it looks definitely in the normal range and was a photo example of the last 3 photos for "shed intestinal lining." She got a little stressed today as one of my other hens squeezed through the fence and was harrasing the new pullets (fixed the problem) so it is probably just due to stress.

Will continue to monitor, but think with such a picture-perfect example that as long as she is still bright, alert, eating and pooping picture-perfect poop will let daughter take in sample on Friday to be certain no worms "just because."

Thanks again.

Lots to learn.
    Lady of McCamley

Quote:

4. I know this is an old thread, but wondering if you remember if your diagnosis ended up being worms? I'm having the exact same issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by