Pat - Beet Pulp Substitution?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by helmstead, Aug 19, 2008.

1. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Pat (and anyone else feed-smart),

I just learned, a little late, that I had purchased the last bag of shredded beet pulp at my local feed store. They claimed they wouldn't be able to get anymore, so I drove to the next feed store to check the story. Low and behold, it's true...we have a shortage on our hands here in the SE.

So, I now have one bag of shredded beet pulp, which will last my goat herd one week.

Rumor has it that it will be late September before more is available (apparently it's harvested Aug/Sept).

What other fiber sources do I have as an option? I am trying to find maybe timothy pellets or similar. I really didn't want to go over 10% protein added by my fiber mass (which has to be at least 16% fiber for my home mix). It seems timothy pellets aren't common around here, either.

[​IMG]

2. UnttouchableRose

UnttouchableRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    From what I have read on other forums its a beet pulp shortage across the US.

I feed my horses Triple Crown and I am afraid to even go buy feed next week since it's beet pulp based.

Are you looking for a pelleted forage or can it be a loose forage? Your just looking for an LSF right but low in protein?

That's a tuffy right off the top of my head.

I know TC makes some chopped forage that is pretty low in protein but it's pretty pricey.

What kind of goats are they? My guys are so fat I don't even want to think of giving them beet pulp!

3. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    It seems that the horse rations and dog rations that use beet pulp are taking precedence over bulk sales. So, your Triple Crown (which I love, BTW) shouldn't be affected.

Because of waste issues, I prefer pelleted or self contained rations. My goats do get loose hay, roughage only and I can't up their intake of that without a 2:1 waste problem. I did look into the chopped forage, but it would be wasted much like loose hay.

They're Nigerian Dwarves, breeding...so between pregnancy and lactation, they need all the calories, calcium and fiber they can get.

At this point, I think all I can do is sub alfalfa pellets and adjust the mix (again [​IMG]).

4. UnttouchableRose

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    I kept thinking about this and all I can come back to is the Alfalfa too just as you suggested.

Just curious is there a reason you don't use a goat feed? I have a pygmy, 2 boers and 2 nubian/boer crosses and I use a feed that is similar to a Ration Balancer in horses for them. It is quite the stuff.

I hope the Beet Pulp is back soon!

5. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I do use a goat ration, but I'm not happy with the ratios, fat content and fiber content, so I mix in other things to bump it up.

I'm leaning towards alfalfa pellets and BOSS based on a suggestion on another forum. I usually just use BOSS supplementally for does that are down post partum, but I suppose the hulls add fiber and the seeds have excellent fat and calorie content, which suits my needs.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have been getting my beet pulp shreds from TSC. I am wondering if I should go to the local store and get a couple more bags since I saw a pallet full of it today.

7. UnttouchableRose

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    Quote:I do believe I would from what I have been hearing, it's not going to be pretty.

8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I was told by my local feed store to buy what I can. It will be hard to come buy soon.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've been mulling this over since yesterday evening and I think my final answer is, if you want a pelleted feed with those characteristics, jeez I really dunno. Sorry.

I think basically you're going to be stuck with pelleted hay, timothy if you can find it and alfalfa if you can't, and just work the rest of the ration around that. Your options for pelleted feeds just aren't really diverse, AFAIK (tho there may be things sold for non-horse species that I don't know of).

Good luck,

Pat

10. UnttouchableRose

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    Quote:I missed this last night. I use BOSS with some of my horses and it's very nice but it is now quite pricey and hard to find also. I bet you'll be pleased with it. BOSS is certainly loaded with calories.

Gotcha on the goat feed I just wasn't sure if you did or not why I asked. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by