Pat Parelli Fans

My friend bought a Parelli trained horse ...not knowing anything about Parelli and she boarded him here for a couple months ...I dont know really anything about parelli but my friend and her husband are learning and they love it .....One thing they taught me when he was here was how to back him up with his lead line or using my finger...I call him Mr personality because he was the one to pull a plastic tarp around the field or play with the big excercise balls my friend bought him ..Or call for me when the patio door opened at feeding time . My horses just watched "what the #$%^ is he doing....show off ! LOL
My friend has me in her will to take him if God forbid something ever happens to them ...
This horse was abused pretty bad and then luckily a young girl saved him and spent her time training him ....he needs a patient person that has gentle hands .....He is in my heart ....
Oh I forgot to mention this is my friends very first horse at the ripe age of 50 something ......its a blast watching her play the games with him ...plus they have since bought three more one being a rescued mennonite 18hh Percheron field plow horse .....The previous owner cannot believe its the same horse ...the previous owner had to put him instocks to do his feet...and the horse would pass out with fright ....now this horse gentley lifts his feet one at a time ...he has learned some games also..
.I on the other hand lean towards John/Josh Lyons and my coach's way .
smile.png

I forgot to mention something about my friends Parelli horse when she first bought him she had him at the barn where we were taking lessons and he was in this "mud" paddock with at least 10 other horses and he would be the only horse laying down flat on the ground sleeping in the sun ...not a care in the world ...

Last edited:
I use to like him a lot. I went to a few of his symposiums, but they seemed to push their equipment hard during the breaks and it just turned me off. Plus if I hear about how he and his wife met one more time I'll scream!!!! LOl. At the one he held here in Jacksonville, a lot of people walked out during the first 30 min. of listing to how he met her etc...... a shame because he does some good stuff. I prefer Clinton Anderson myself, but like Parelli also.
big_smile.png

Quote:
LOL!!

I got his book when it first came out, but watching him on RFD TV, he's just too commercial now. He does have some good techniques I'll admit, fun ground stuff to do if your horse is laid up with an injury or the weather is just too bad to ride. I like Clinton Anderson too but the last few times I watched him, he was more interested in slipping "Featherlite Trailers" every fifth word out of his mouth into his demo on loading or "Wahl clippers" into his demo on clipping. Quite a pity. I have a Bison horse trailer. Maybe that's why she doesn't load well
roll.png

i just recently heard of them and looked at some of their methods and have been working with the horses that i work with at work and so far am not convinced of much. i think a little tough love now and then helps my mare to be has stupid moments but if you give her a swat on the shoulder shes like oh ok i remember now so i can't see spending a whole lot of time on something that takes two seconds to correct her and anything that she has done and been corrected she has never done again. also has anyone else had an issue with making a horse want to lunge after desensitizing them to a whip? thats the first part i started with since some of the horses would go crazy if you got the lunge whip out but wouldn't put any effort into their trots without it. One mare in particular just shut off after i rubbed her over with the whip. all she wanted to do was follow me around. any advice would be great.

I have seen his ideas misused to the point here the horses are unsafe to be around. I have retrained some of these.

When used along with common sense his program can work for owners who do not have a lot of horse knowledge.

I think what he himself does is ok, but the great majority of people I've seen "following his methods" are somewhere between "fooling around uselessly getting nowhere except in their own imaginations" and "getting themselves into serious hot water with their horses".

He is not, IMHO, very good at ALL at conveying what is really important. Whereas he is pretty good indeed at conveying that a) you should buy lots of stuff he's selling, and b) you should make your horse go round and round and frequently flap/twirl/whatever your [specially purchased] leadrope at him, and c) the test of a horseman is the stupid tricks they can display with their horse.

So my problem it is not really with what Parelli does, he himself with the horses... it's just the effect it often has on people who try to do it themselves.

As far as I am concerned (and I say this as a classical-dressage kind of gal), the Supreme Being of quote natural horsemanship unquote type stuff is Bill Dorrance, probably also Tom Dorrance. Now THERE's horsemen, and ones who can actually help people learn to be better horsemen themselves. They were just not anything LIKE such good marketers or self-promoters as the Roberts/Lyons/Parelli et al crowd.

JMHO,

Pat

My issue with him is that he seems to appeal to a crowd that would be better off owning a dog. There's only so much ground work to do before you need to just get on and ride.

Back
Top Bottom