Pat

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sferreira59, Sep 18, 2011.

1. sferreira59

sferreira59 New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    Massive Buff Orpington, we are at a loss as to Pat's gender. He/she acts like a rooster, looks kind of like a rooster, mounts hens like a rooster (with amazingly bad aim!) but his/her body is built like a huge hen and its attempt at crowing is more like a half of a fog-horn. He/she is fully grown and cannot crow. So what is it? Rooster? Hen? Confused? Hermaphrodite? It sports spur buds, too...[​IMG]

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Roo waiting for his voice to drop

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a roo to me! [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Pat [​IMG] is a rooster.

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Rooster...

6. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Roo! S'okay - just get him a mate: Chris [​IMG]

7. sferreira59

sferreira59 New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    K, if Pat is a rooster, what's with the really bad aim (he NEVER hits a home run) and the inability to crow? Its crow is more like a pained squawk.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:tehe.. I wont touch the bad aim... the crow could be because of any number of things but if you look at the saddle feathers... they are pointed like a roo.. not all roos crow.. I have 5 and the lower ones on the pole only squack cause when they crow they get a bashin from the others..

9. sferreira59

sferreira59 New Egg

Aug 31, 2011
    Pat was the only "rooster" until last week and had never attempted to make any other sounds besides 'chicken' noises. We brought in Fabio (an impressive young roo) who is actually younger than Pat but is a top-notch crower with unerring aim. Upon hearing Fabio crow, Pat then began making the attempt at crowing.

10. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    That is a roo, there is absolutely no doubt about it. Hens don't grow those pointy saddle feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by