Patches of feathers missing on underside of bantams not sure why???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by akapple, Feb 21, 2011.

1. akapple

akapple Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Georgia
    I have a small flock of 6 bantams. 5 ladies and 1 roo. They are our babies and we love them to death but our first flock and don't know a whole lot. Just found they had scaly leg mites and we are treating that, but they have something else. I noticed on the underside of a couple of them they had a patch of skin w/ feathers missing. skin wasn't broken or raw in anyway, just featherless?? Could mites or lice cause that? Treating for body mites tomorrow as they always act itchy but do not see anything or know if it's really there or not? Had to treat them for a respiratory infection last week and they seem better. They were all fine and then all of a sudden this past week it just got crazy! Scrub the coop and actually painted it this weekend and put all new bedding and we've been moving it everyday around the yard. All but one hen has stopped laying and I'm just not sure what to do from there. Poor things I feel so bad. They are my babies and it's like a sick kid that you don't know how to make feel better! [​IMG]

2. believer01

believer01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Goodness, hope you get this figured out quickly. Sorry I can't be much help, but wanted you to know that I've got an older girl, BR, who has been molting since late Oct. Just a little bit at a time. Last week the feathers on her breast all came out at once - she looked awful. But I can see the nubs of new feathers on her skin....hoping she'll cover up soon. If you use the search box for mites or parasites perhaps you'll find some answers.

3. akapple

Feb 21, 2011
    Georgia
    I just went out to check on them one more time for the night. They are all roosting peacefully. Their feet look better already and it's only been half a day. They all cooed at me and didn't look too mad! lol! The weather has been much nicer the last few days and I've been letting them free range during the day and they have been dusting themselves a lot so hopefully that will help but I think I will dust them w/ some ash or 7dust tomorrow just to be safe. We've lost several of our favorite ladies this yr. due to preditors and one that ran away -hopped the fence and got away we thought she was taken by the hawk but found a wk later a boy a couple roads over found her and has made her his pet and did not want to give her back. It was sad for us but I understand and as long as she was taken care of I didn't fight it. So w/ all the loss that we couldn't help, we cannot loose anymore. My daughter poor little heart couldn't take it!

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

They were laying but now they are not, they have bare patches on their stomachs(only the hens, perhaps?) and they have been free ranging a little. Any chance they are laying out in a nest and are getting ready to go a little broody? Tis the season! [​IMG]

5. akapple

Feb 21, 2011
    Georgia
    well the one hen definitely has been. I was getting an egg a day from all my hens and she kept laying on them and crying when I would take them. The other I never saw do it, but I saw her tonight picking at the spot that was bare. She has a couple thin spots by her head but that's from the roo (or so my daughter says). They are the only 2 that I notice that have feathers missing but only 1 hen is laying still and the other 4 have quite. Would this mess w/ their feet make them quit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by