Patchy Skin on Pea

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by HatchHatch, Feb 14, 2014.

1. HatchHatch

HatchHatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    I have a 8 month old pea, Fluffy, who seems to have a odd colored skin. The area around his eye (both sides) seem to be slightly grayish and doesn't seem to have the small, fuzzy feathers that other peas have. Upon a closer look, I saw one or two very, very small orange/red looking bug/insect walking around. Here are some pictures, any idea what this could be? Any types of medication/ointment I can get for him?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    your bird has external parasites and you can rid them with Ivermectin pour on. 1 cc/ml applied directly to the skin at base of neck under the feathers. Gently lift the feathers til you see the skin and squirt it on him. you can use an eye dropper that has cc/ml printed on it or a needless syringe. 1 cc/ml is about a quarter teaspoon.

3. HatchHatch

Jun 18, 2013
    Thank you so much for your input! Just a few questions about ivermectin, how many times a day and for how long should I apply this on him? Also, would you happen to know where to buy this medication (I'm on the east coast in New York)?

4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    We have purchased ivermectin at Tractor Supply. I'm sure you could find it online as well.

5. HatchHatch

Jun 18, 2013
  6. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    The second one looks like the kind we've used.

7. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Another thing that works good is Sevin dust that is used in the garden, not the %50 but regular garden dust.. Take it and dust the bird well , under wings , at vent, neck and just all over. May take more than once as the some eggs might hatch, sprinkle dust in pen and some on roost and in the dusting area if they have one started. This is one thing to keep in your medicine bag and is cheap and works on tomatoes and cabbage. These bugs generally come from wild birds and not all birds in the pen will have them.. the bugs make the birds more unthrifty and subject to other problems down the road. The photos of Ivermec show a outdated batch.. I don't think it gets old real fast.. you might also try eBay for this, I don't recall that as being a real bargain. connerhills

8. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

There are two kinds of Ivermectin, injectable, and pour on. The type you want to pour on the back of the bird is the pour on. I got mine from www.ValleyVet.com and received it the next day.

Item #21523 - Ivomec - Cattle and Swine 50 ml cost $35.69

They may have smaller bottles....

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2, I would treat with Sevin dust or poultry dust as I suspect your pea has lice. Ivermectin will only kill biting mites and lice. This is one of the ones I use:

[​IMG]

-Kathy

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by