pathetic eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KelsiNS, Oct 19, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    My papaw gave me eggs from a friendof my memaws.

Paper thin shells thay broke in the carton on the ride hone.

Pale yolks (like....custard light) that were broken before hitting the pan.

Watery whites that nearly would not scramble. Just .....sweated.

They were pitiful. My girls arent laying yet- but i wantt to know what these eggs were deficient in so i be sure my girls dont lay such poor eggs!

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    calcium would cause the thin shells.

the pale yolks are usually caused by vitamin deficiencies, some companies add marigold to darken the yolks. old timers claim cracked corn make the yolks darker too. ive never had an issue with pale yolks so hopefully someone else who has better advice comes along soon.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I would ensure that my chickens have competent feed. Most any commercial brand should be nutritionally complete and enable your chickens to lay eggs such as you expect.

Chris

4. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Not an expert but agree about calcium for the shells. I started out buying oyster shells unnecessarily because I found out that giving them their own shells free choice (cleaned. Dried. And crushed) did just as well.

Also in the beginning I was terrified to let them free range (10 acres and a billion places to hide). However the more comfortable I became to letting them forage for fresh greens and juicy bugs and worms the deeper the yolk color became and they actually were much more tasty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by