Patience, hope, take a deep breath and try not to worry.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickedydoodaa, Feb 19, 2009.

1. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    I am hatching eggs too for the very first time in a hova bator still air with an egg turner. Now past day 14 incubation I am very relaxed about the whole experience.

Yes I wake up and the temperature sits at 98 after it reads 100 when I go to bed, I control that by tweaking it back to 100 right away. The first week it went up to 104 for several hours, sometimes it will go up to 101 or 102, I adjust it quickly and don't worry about it, the humidity will go up and down too, but I take care of it right away.

I candled 3 days ago and every one of my eggs has a living 'alien' inside it [​IMG]

I would not imagine that a hen sitting on her eggs will generate a constant 95.5 or 50%, she has to get up to eat, poop etc, the weather outside too constantly changes if she is outdoors.

I am doing the best that I can and this forum has helped me very much so. I won't be too disappointed if I do not get any chicks because I know I have done the best I can at this stage as a beginner, I cannot have complete control over this, (or anything in my life for that matter)

They are due to hatch next Thursday, in the meantime I ordered a more 'efficient' or 'modern' incubator and another batch of eggs so if it does not work this time I am all set for the next attempt.

I understand the anxiety that surrounds the experience, however I refuse to do that to myself, feeling anxious is unpleasant. You can choose to worry about it, or you can choose not to worry [​IMG]

There is plenty of time and eggs for everyone! let it be a challenge for you, and if it does not go the way you want try again!

I hope this helps some of you

Philip

2. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:You know it's funny because a week or so ago I was very relaxed about it all too & now........ not so much any more. I can't change anything but then I can if the humidity is too low I can raise it etc. The hen would just instinctively know what's what & no it isn't perfect & nothing in nature is but when you've come all the way & you're at the end it's natural to be thinking "ok now just zip outta there." LOL

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope you have a great hatch.

4. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    You know you are doing the best you can or know how [​IMG] give all yourselves a pat on the back and say you are doing a good job! determination will provide us all with the results that we truly want!

3 weeks/21 days may seem like an eternity when we are so excited about something, it is not that bad, me and my special one had to wait 9 months for our baby! imagine the torture? Imagine what an elephant has to go through? 22 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh the worry!!! LOL:bow

5. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    actually this really didn't seem like an eternity & I was pretty cool about it all until yesterday/last night. I think it was the final moments that had brought a bit of anxiety. I've sort of had a Kay sera sera attitude & like you "I'm doing what I can & the best I know" I know I can't do any more etc. But there's just something about waiting for that pip & of course now the zip. LOL you'll see. & I do wish you a great hatch....

6. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    did any pips happen? are they about to? you on day 21?

7. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I don't get anxious about the incubation period until I see a pip. Then I'm checking the bator every 30 minutes or so to see if there's any progress. My temps and humidity were all over the place last time (first time hatching) and I opened the bator probably a few to many times but I still hatched 29/33 eggs so I was quite pleased.

Good Luck with your hatch [​IMG]

8. chickedydoodaa

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    Thats what I like to hear [​IMG] well done and thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by