1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Patience is driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dansanddogs, Sep 19, 2015.

1. dansanddogs

dansanddogs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    I am trying to figure out if this Buff Orpington is a Hen or Roo and the patience is driving me bonkers! They are 14 weeks old and this one in particular has always looked different than the others. I want a Rooster really bad, but don't want to buy one if the one I have turns out to be one. (Did I mention I am knew to the chicken world....still trying to learn). I have had mixed opinions on the gender but this is a more recent pic. [​IMG]

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Cant see the heads of the others, but looking at the leg thickness of the one in the foreground, I think it could be a roo. i seem to be able to seem some spur development (although this is sometimes found on pullets also) which also says roo to me.

CT

3. dansanddogs

dansanddogs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    ill try to post more pics. Thanks!

4. Farrier

Farrier Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2014
    That is a huge comb for 14 weeks, plus I think I see pointy hackle and saddle feathers coming in. For these reasons I'm pretty sure you have a roo.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a cockerel.

Red comb and large comb for the age, Orp hens don't hit maturity this young.

Taller, upright stance. Legs are still long and gangly in proportion to the body. Your hens at this point are more rounded and feminine looking.

I'm not seeing much for saddle feathers yet (normal on an Orp cockerel, they can be slow to show themselves as you're seeing) but you can see hackle feathers starting on the neck. Shiny and darker than the base color, pointy.

Darker shading of reddish/buff on the wings--that's a male trait. Your hens are a soft, even shade over the body.

Thicker legs--not 100% on it's own, but taken as part of the package, male.

1 person likes this.
  6. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    I agree with @donrae. Cockeral. Buff Orpingtons are one of the easier breeds to sex, IMO

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    100% rooster

8. chickens galore

chickens galore Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2015
    bridgend south wales uk
    x 6 always a bugger [​IMG]

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    That's a cockerel. Pullets wont show color in comb until nearing lay and with Orpingtons that's maybe 10 weeks from now.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by