1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

patience is wearing thin

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hotredz, May 14, 2009.

1. hotredz

hotredz New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Orillia,Ont
    my husband and i are new to chicken farming and thought we would try hatching our own brood, currently we have two batches on the go. the first was to hatch on the 5th. After candling them it looks like 3 of the 11 have chickens, how long do you wait before you decide they are not alive, the second batch should hatch on the 15 and it looks like there are no chickens, but not all that great candling? HELP:(

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    On dark or green eggs, I wait until I'm SURE they're infertile. I was hatching Welsummers and Easter Eggers this last time and their eggs are hard to see into. I waited until day 14 to toss the clears because by that time there was very noticeable differences. I didn't want to take any chances tossing a good egg.

3. hotredz

hotredz New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Orillia,Ont
    how would you know when that is, the eggs we have are brown and we think the chickens are reds? when we candled them we saw something floating but only three so far would not permit light but they should of started hatching last fri May 8th. disappointing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by