Patiently waiting - or anyways I'm trying!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by City-Chickee, Nov 21, 2014.

1. City-Chickee

City-Chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Des Moines, IA
    Placed my first order for baby chicks! I'm so excited I could burst LOL
    Now for the hard part....waiting until April. Gosh that seems like forever!!!

So, I will be receiving all girls - 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Welsummer, 1 Salmon Faverolle, 1 Black Australorp, and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock.
    Will definately post pics when they get here.

Just had to share with you guys :)

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I remember that feeling like a really long wait too. We had 3 that we bought off Craigslist (never, ever do that again!) in December. Then we placed an order with Murray McMurray in January and had to wait until mid-April. I about drove everyone I knew nuts talking about them, lol. Hard to believe our girls are now 11 months (CL girls) and 7 months old (MM girls). They're all grown up and laying and so much fun.

You're getting a really nice assortment of birds. Welsummer's are on my 'some day' list (along with oh just a few others), Don't forget to share pictures when you get them!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  3. mastiffs07

mastiffs07 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2014
    I am getting my first chickens in April too and I cant wait. Is it April yet?

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Almost, lol. What breed of chickens are you getting?

5. mastiffs07

Oct 30, 2014
    1 white silkie bantam (4 year old had to have it) 1 barred plymouth rock, 2 Australopes, Easter egger and 1 red star. I want to get a buff Orpington, Wyandotte and sussex which will be available at a local store mid March but i have been advised not to have chicks 2 weeks apart in age. I don't know if I'm going to want to constantly have chicks in the house or to worry about them getting along in future

6. City-Chickee

Sep 28, 2014
    Des Moines, IA
    I really wanted to get an easter egger too (blue or green eggs sounded cool!), but I was worried that the other gals would pick on her since she'd be much smaller...

7. City-Chickee

Sep 28, 2014
    Des Moines, IA
    Unfortunately I already have a "some day" list [​IMG]
    Even though I have those five ordered, I also wanted to get a blue laced red wyandotte, a barneveldar and various colored cochins - so fluffy!

Maybe some day

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Ha ha, chicken math hits another one! We've only had chickens about a year and I have quite a long "wish list". See? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/938107/poultry-wish-list

1 person likes this.
  9. City-Chickee

Sep 28, 2014
    Des Moines, IA
    LOL I didn't know that was a "thing" [​IMG] glad I'm not alone
    Sounds about right though, as much research I've been doing for the past couple of months I think I've become a bit obsessed hehe Hubby comes over to see what I'm reading on the interwebs and he's like "oh...chickens again?" and I'm like but they're so pretty!! - he rolls his eyes and walks away

10. mastiffs07

Oct 30, 2014
    I thought that the bantam would be too small for my others but from reading it should be fine. I guess if you have different breeds of chickens they will accept all sizes too because the won't know the difference. I might get another bantam just so she isn't the only tiny one. I'm afraid to change my order because I dont want to delay my chicks. Chicken math has already hit here and I havent even owned one before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by