Patricia the sad Wyandotte

PileatedFarms

Songster
Jun 29, 2021
Michigan
Patricia is a Wyandotte just over a year old. We saved her from a not great living situation in June where her issue had developed and now has set in.

She is losing feathers, but definitely not molting as there are no follicles left on the skin. It's just seems to be bare skin below. And the feathers that are left seem to be missing a lot of the feather part. She is the only chicken in 20 suffering from this, and is completely normal otherwise. Red comb/wattle, personality, moving around, eating/drinking and pooping normal.

I got this picture just as she was about to sun bathe so she is standing her neck feathers up lol but it's a great example of how naked she is below. She definitely is feeling the chill of fall.

Now that it is getting colder we can't just let her keep losing feathers and freeze, so we either have to diagnose her or say goodbye. We have checked for mites.

Her only symptom is the weird feather loss and not laying. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. It's the strangest thing because she still bosses the others around, but looks so tiny and naked.

Thanks for any info or guesses!

Attachments

• 20221023_131537.jpg
    20221023_131537.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20221023_131535.jpg
    20221023_131535.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
If you can I would say separate her from the others but give her a mirror, watch her and see is she is scratching or pulling out her feathers on her own. Maybe see about a reduce stress oil to help her relax. It could be nerves from new environment or a skin thing. Please let me know on progress ❤️

What do you feed? She could be hard molting, follicles won't appear for a bit, protein will help her.
If you can I would say separate her from the others but give her a mirror, watch her and see is she is scratching or pulling out her feathers on her own. Maybe see about a reduce stress oil to help her relax. It could be nerves from new environment or a skin thing. Please let me know on progress ❤️
There's no need to seperate her and oils could be toxic.

Back
Top Bottom