Pattern on eggshell: what is it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by irma1956, Aug 20, 2016.

1. irma1956

irma1956 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    Maine
    One of my girls is laying eggs with this pattern. The eggs are small. My flock started laying just two months ago, Done lotsa research but am still a newbie at this and am hoping nothing is wrong with her. [​IMG]

.Cause for concern?

2. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Not a problem, it just got wrinkled before the shell layer completely formed and set.
    Her production system will "smooth" itself out eventually, Or not.
    But as long as she's laying, shes healthy.

My 2 year old BR still lays a small dark brown thick shelled egg.
    Her sister lays an XL very light tan thinned shell egg,
    My Cuckoo Maran who was supposed to lay chocolate brown large eggs laid oblong medium brown ones.
    Even within a breed they are all different.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A wrinkled egg shell can be caused by stress, overcrowding, a defective shell gland or a disease like Infectious Bronchitis.

2 people like this.
  4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

5. irma1956

Apr 4, 2016
    Maine
    I had heard this was a sign of bronchitis from an old farmer friend. I have 6 hens and they have ample room (8x5x6high coop), 12x6 outdoor run plus they go into the 4x10 chicken tractor allover the yard daily. I have a very private yard. I has been humid in Maine into the 90's but I make sure they are in shade and the coop has a fan as the nights are still warm sometimes. Plenty of water of course. None of the girls appear ill. Maybe a defective shell gland that you mention?

6. irma1956

Apr 4, 2016
    Maine
    They are laying lots of unique eggs! One lays double yolkers routines, some are soft shelled on some days. Size and color vary greatly! My girls come from TS and are RI red/leghorn mixes I was told. Supposed to be great layers and they are. I get 6 eggs/day most days.Looking into the possible eggshell gland defect mentioned. I'm a worrier and watch close so hopefully all is well!

7. irma1956

Apr 4, 2016
    Maine
    Wow! What a great guide. Thank you! I don't see that pattern like my hen lays, but I am thinking gland defect. Infectious Bronchitis is a concern though. Would they exhibit certain symptoms if that was the cause? They all appear really healthy

8. irma1956

Apr 4, 2016
    Maine
    ...just to add...that pattern is exactly like that each time it happens.

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your hens are new layers...In a nut shell you will get a lot of strange eggs before they work the kinks out. Check out the Chicken Chick site...Lots of great info there too.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Truth from ChickenCanoe plus the possibility/probability that she is still perfecting the egg development process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by