Paul Harvey says egg production is up!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl4513, Oct 26, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Did anyone hear Paul Harvey this morning? He said the egglaying industry is finding out that free range hens produce more eggs.That they are happier and healthier chickens. That some are tearing down the old laying houses and letting their birds free range. Egg production is up 5% vs. hens in laying houses! And consumers are prefering the free range eggs!!Why...who'd a thunk it? [​IMG] We've only been preaching it for how long now?

2. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    That's a start to ending the caged layer farming...I hope these people provide plenty of land to range. It's been quite a while since I've listened to Paul Harvey, so thanks for that tidbit.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, DUH! They never listen to us. Next thing, they'll say it was all their idea in the first place.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Five Acre Poultry Farms.

Can a living for a family be made from a five acre poultry farm? Yes; by individual effort, where the marketing opportunities are good; by corporate or co-operate effort, any place where the fundamental conditions are right.

This type of poultry farm is well suited for development near our large cities, where the cry of "back to the land" has filled with new hope the discouraged dweller in flat and tenement. No greater chance for humanitarian work, and at the same time no greater business opportunity, is open to-day...

The Dollar Hen
    Milo Hastings
    (read/download entire book here)
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13254/13254.txt

The more things change...
    [​IMG]
    Circa 1904
    (fellow Missourians might recognize Supreme Court building in background)​

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin