Pauper the poor silkie {insert gender here }

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pbjmaker, Nov 15, 2010.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    We were at an auction in October where my husband bid on and won a pair of young silkies. I was pretty sure they were around 3-4 months old at the time. It was hard to tell the way they were caged. It was the type of auction where the cage goes with the animal, so they were in a dark green crate with green "snow fence" for a lid. We bought them as pet quality, with no expectations at all. I just wanted a couple of fluffy chickens and I really like the splash color.

Got them home and have been wondering about age and sex ever since. They were in not so hot condition and in fact am sure they had/have scaley leg mites. Unfortunately my dog killed one - he had never killed before. ( he is forever banished from anything chicken now)

Anywho - the one that is left is living in my basement right now. He is exhibiting signs of an upper respitory infection. BUT I did get some pictures today.

What do you think for gender and/or age? S/he is not very big yet, but had the longest toenails when purchased. I would have automatically thought it was an adult, but for the tiny stature. I have had silkies in the past and this one is no bigger than my serama right now. Feathers look a ton better than when I got him and they are still growing in. He has been treated once with ivermec, and is on terrymiacin right now. The "cold" he has killed my 2 year old BC maran this week ( He was weak to begin with)

Now if only he would fold that basket of laundry behind him/her...

[​IMG]

Crapitastic feet:

[​IMG]

Head shot:

[​IMG]

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Pullet. Prob less than a year old, by the look of her...

3. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I think she is a she...........

4. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I sure hope so, I also hope that she doesn't die from what ever respitory thing she has. You can see in the picture how her eye is a little gunky, watery.

Here is the pair of them when I first got them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Add denagard to the terramycin or switch to baytril (needs a prescription), tylan or erythromycin. Terramycin by itself is not strong enough.

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Thanks for the advice on the meds. Will go to the feed store tomorrow to get it. I don'[t know any vet around here that will supply the baytril. I live in a city and no one does chickens [​IMG].

The only other thing I had on hand was sulmet and my friend who has hundreds of chickens told me to use the terramycin.

It's the first time in over three years I have had truely ill birds and so far it is only the two. I am closely monitoring the rest of the flock for symptoms but so far they seem well. I don't want to have to drug my laying hens if I don't have to. Especially right before baking season when I need all the eggs I can get...

Stephanie

p.s. I trust your judgement - do you have a gender guess?

7. GotChicken?

GotChicken? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    The Thumb, MI
    Use Tylan if you can get it. My D'Anver cockeral had a nasty eye infection that Terramycin did absolutely nothing for even after 14 straight days of dosing. I injected him with 0.2cc of Tylan in his neck for four days straight, and the infection was completely gone in five days. Just be sure to feed your girl yogurt for a few days afterwards to help get her digestive tract back in order. You may also want to had a garlic clove to her water to boost her immune sytem.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    wow, wow, wow dont think that is a pullet: I see streamers= 100% cockerel

9. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Those back feathers still have the waxy sheath on them. They seem in line with the other feathers. I know I look at him/her all day constantly changing my mind. My show- girl roo had such obvious streamers. I wish I knew an age on this baby, I think it would help me.

[​IMG]

10. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What?? do you own silkies? All silkie pullets have a few streamers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by