Pavarotti/Pavie the chick: Update...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by paganfish, Dec 7, 2007.

1. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    A while back I had posted a picture of my new Blue Andalusian chick that was born in August. At first I thought she was a he and so I called him Pavarotti. Then I posted his/her picture on here to ask if indeed it was a cockrel or a pullet and most folks said it looked like a pullet. (OK, I was a bit bummed by that because I *really* want an Andalusian roo but I'd love a hen just the same.)

So, I started calling HER "Pavie" after someone (sorry, I forget who) suggested that. :|

Now, the other day I was doing a search for this one banty that has the habit of going to the next door neighbor's yard and as I passed close to Pavie - she did the same sound my other 3 roos do. You know that, "coo, coo-roo coo throaty under their breath", sound that roos do when surprised?

So, I shrugged it off and kept going about my merry way in search of the elusive banty.

When I found the banty and was guiding her back with a stick (chicken shepherd extra ordinare, that's me! [​IMG]), I saw Pavie do the little "hat dance" around one of the other bantys that was near her/him. (You know the dance, whereby the roo will spread one wing to the ground and kick he's foot out while making a circle around the hen? I call it the Hat Dance...'cause, well, it reminds me of that. [​IMG])

Anyway...and now to my point. [​IMG]

Aren't these indicative of roo behavior? Should I still assume he's a she or assume she's a he and go back to calling him Pavarotti? HELP!!!

Poor guy, he's going to have gender ID issues. [​IMG]

Good thing they don't require psychiatric treatment! [​IMG]

I'll take a picture of him but other than his waddles are bigger and lower and his comb is slightly bigger...not much has changed of him...

Pedro~:-V

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  2. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Quote:He knows who he is. You just don't know who he is. [​IMG]

Take care,

Tami

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, that sounds like a roo to me. Haven't seen a hen do the rooster dance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by