Pavlov's Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    The other day I picked up a little cowbell from tractor supply, with the intention of ringing the bell every time I give the ducks treats. I started the conditioning today, and the first time I rang the bell, they ran away, but are okay with it now. I hope that eventually they'll come running at the sound of the bell!

2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    I do something like that with mine too. I clap my hands and they all go into their run for the night! [​IMG]

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    my side garage door slams and they know its time to eat. I fill their food bowl with the same red scoope and bucket everyday so they also associate that with food as well so if they see that bucket they know to come running its time to eat!

4. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    all i have to do is open the back door and the goats, pigs, ducks and guineas go absolutely crazy.

5. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    I use a bell with a ringer to call my 50 ducks from the pond to the night pen... about 200 yards away. They were a little freaked out at first, but now they get it. I continue to ring the bell while they are eating to reinforce the Pavlovian response. It is always a crowd favorite when the ducks emerge from the reservoir hill and single file down to the barn.[​IMG]

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have a old large coffee can that I put food in and shake it. When the ducks, chickens, and guineas see and hear that can ...they all come a running. It works great if they are off free ranging and I want them to come home or if one is out hiding somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by