Paw Paw trees

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by no1hilbily, Jun 25, 2011.

1. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Can chickens eat paw paw leaves and fruit

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They can certainly eat paw paws. I'd say the leaves should be fine, too. Gosh, I'm jealous! Always wanted a paw paw tree!

3. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Just not the seeds---you save those to shoot at your cousins! [​IMG]

4. no1hilbily

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    thanks

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Gosh, I am jealous, too. I tried to raise a few Paw Paw trees but I have a brown thumb.
    My chickens would love it if all those fruit trees I have tried to grow through out my life had survived.

6. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:The secret is to raise them as understory trees. They do not do well in full sun. We planted two last year and I had to move one under the trees more as it could not take the sun. Now they are both doing fine. They will shoot up and get all the sun they need later on. One of the reasons their leaves are so big is that they can collect plenty of the sun's energy growing under taller nurse trees. Slow growers, but worth the wait.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Oops...was gonna' say you must have grown up around my part of the country - but I see you're in TN. [​IMG] (I'm native WV hillbilly...lol).

8. no1hilbily

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Indianapolis Indiana now but from Kyser WV

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Small world! We were just up in Indy this morning picking up a 1950 Chevy truck (fun restore project). I grew up in Wayne WV, about 25 mi. outside of Huntington...now live in So. Indiana. [​IMG] Funny, but as many times as I'd walked the woods around here, I'd never noticed all the pawpaw trees until my brother (from back home) came to visit. We were walking a trail and he started exclaiming about all the pawpaw trees we had - that had gone unnoticed by me for two years [​IMG] For some reason, very little fruit though????

10. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Oops...was gonna' say you must have grown up around my part of the country - but I see you're in TN. [​IMG] (I'm native WV hillbilly...lol).

Yep. Grew up in Southeast Ky. My Poppy had paw paw trees all around the edge of his garden, by the creek we all played in. There was always a bunch of cousins there and we were free to eat all the paw paws we wanted. And we were told over and over not to shoot seeds at each other as, according to my mother, grandmother and various aunts, there was apparently a little boy who shot a paw paw seed at his cousin and hit him in the eye which blinded him (never explained how one seed in one eye left the kid totally blind) For the rest of his life that little boy had to help his aunt take care of his poor blind cousin all because he didn't listen when he was told not to shoot paw paw seeds. [​IMG]

Happily I never made the connection my mother and my aunts were going for and could hit a kid's ear and leave a mark at 20 feet. [​IMG]

I have a whole grove of paw paw trees, the oldest about 20 years. Every year they are covered with the little red elf hats blooms, but few set and fewer make it. I had three last year. I think they are not getting some pollinator they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by