Paw prints on the door

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by emptynesterMom, Jul 31, 2011.

1. emptynesterMom

emptynesterMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Virginia
    I'm new to raising poultry and have spent a lot of time reading and learning from the recomendations on BYC. Based on what we read, DH and I built a coop and run with 6' woven wire, 3' hardware cloth vertically, 2' on the ground. The run has 3 strands of electric fencing and hardware cloth covers all the windows and screen doors. In the past 7 months, I hadn't seen hide nor hair of any predators, and I thought we had wasted a lot of time and money with over kill - until this morning. On the door of the coop were two racoon paw prints about 2' high. I guess he gave up trying to crack the fence and was knocking to come in. To all of you BYC folks - thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Your advice saved my flock. [​IMG]

Wife to my DH of 28years, mom to 2 grown sons, one grown daughter, Grandma to a darlin grandaughter, 1 dog, 1 spoiled cat, 9 EE, 6 production red, and 10 turkeys

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like you did everything exactly right! Great job! That coon will have to go elsewhere for his meal. [​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Job well done - the coons gave up and went on their way.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

What a great story! Thanks for posting. Glad your flock is safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by